Today the finalists for the 2015 Locus Awards were announced. As a reader, you probably don’t really care about such things, but I find that these lists are a great way to learn about really great science fiction and fantasy books that I might have missed over the past year. So, check out the list below and see if there’s anything to add to your TBR pile.
SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL
- The Peripheral, William Gibson
- Ancillary Sword, Ann Leckie
- The Three-Body Problem, Cixin Liu
- Lock In, John Scalzi
- Annihilation/Authority/Acceptance, Jeff VanderMeer
- The Goblin Emperor, Katherine Addison
- Steles of the Sky, Elizabeth Bear
- City of Stairs, Robert Jackson Bennett
- The Magician’s Land, Lev Grossman
- The Mirror Empire, Kameron Hurley
YOUNG ADULT BOOK
- Half a King, Joe Abercrombie
- The Doubt Factory, Paolo Bacigalupi
- Waistcoats & Weaponry, Gail Carriger
- Empress of the Sun, Ian McDonald
- Clariel, Garth Nix
- Elysium, Jennifer Marie Brissett
- A Darkling Sea, James L. Cambias
- The Clockwork Dagger, Beth Cato
- The Memory Garden, Mary Rickert
- The Emperor’s Blades, Brian Staveley
- “The Man Who Sold the Moon”, Cory Doctorow
- We Are All Completely Fine, Daryl Gregory
- Yesterday’s Kin, Nancy Kress
- “The Regular”, Ken Liu
- “The Lightning Tree”, Patrick Rothfuss
- “Tough Times All Over”, Joe Abercrombie
- “The Hand Is Quicker”, Elizabeth Bear
- “Memorials”, Aliette de Bodard
- “The Jar of Water”, Ursula K. Le Guin
- “A Year and a Day in Old Theradane”, Scott Lynch
- “Covenant”, Elizabeth Bear
- “The Dust Queen”, Aliette de Bodard
- “The Truth About Owls”, Amal El-Mohtar
- “In Babelsberg”, Alastair Reynolds
- “Ogres of East Africa”, Sofia Samatar
- The Year’s Best Science Fiction: Thirty-first Annual Collection, Gardner Dozois, ed.
- Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History, Rose Fox & Daniel José Older, eds.
- Rogues, George R.R. Martin & Gardner Dozois, ed.
- Reach for Infinity, Jonathan Strahan, ed.
- The Time Traveler’s Almanac, Ann VanderMeer & Jeff VanderMeer, eds.
- Questionable Practices, Eileen Gunn
- The Collected Short Fiction Volume One: The Man Who Made Models, R.A. Lafferty
- Last Plane to Heaven, Jay Lake
- Academic Exercises, K.J. Parker
- The Collected Stories of Robert Silverberg, Volume Nine: The Millennium Express, Robert Silverberg
- Angry Robot
- Small Beer
- John Joseph Adams
- Ellen Datlow
- Gardner Dozois
- Jonathan Strahan
- Ann & Jeff VanderMeer
- Jim Burns
- John Picacio
- Shaun Tan
- Charles Vess
- Michael Whelan
- Ray Bradbury Unbound, Jonathan Eller
- Harry Harrison! Harry Harrison!, Harry Harrison
- The Secret History of Wonder Woman, Jill Lepore
- Robert A. Heinlein: In Dialogue with His Century, Volume 2: The Man Who Learned Better: 1948-1988, William H. Patterson, Jr.
- What Makes This Book So Great, Jo Walton
- Jim Burns, The Art of Jim Burns: Hyperluminal
- The Art of Neil Gaiman, Hayley Campbell
- Spectrum 21: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art, John Fleskes, ed.
- Brian & Wendy Froud, Brian Froud’s Faeries’ Tales
- The Art of Space: The History of Space Art, from the Earliest Visions to the Graphics of the Modern Era, Ron Miller
You can also read the full official announcement on the LocusMag.com website.